What is Healthy Start?
You could qualify for Healthy start if:
- you are pregnant or have a child under 4 and are on benefits OR
- you are pregnant and under 18 (even if you are not claiming benefits)
With Healthy Start, you can get free vouchers every week which you can spend on milk, fruit, vegetables, pulses and infant formula milk. You can also get free Healthy Start vitamins.
Pregnant women and children over one and under four years old can get one £4.25 voucher per week. Children under one year old can get two £4.25 vouchers (£8.50) per week.
The vouchers can be spent on:
- plain cow’s milk – whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed. It can be pasteurised, sterilised, long life or UHT
- plain, fresh, frozen or tinned fruit and vegetables (fruit and vegetables with no added ingredients), whole or chopped, packaged or loose
- fresh, frozen or tinned pulses
- infant formula milk that says it can be used from birth and is based on cow’s milk.
Ask your health visitor or midwife for details or visit Healthy start NHS