Talking Takes Off- Take Away Workshops (Speech, Language and Communication)
Make sure you / your service are part of this exciting programme to ensure we can make a real difference to babies and young children’s communication skills. BOOK YOUR FREE PLACE NOW. These courses will be popular.
Luton has secured funding from the DFE to promote the importance of early communication and language skills from pregnancy to five. We know that communication is key for early child development. For children who do not experience the opportunity to develop their speech, communication and language skills this can have a major impact on their readiness for school, their ability to form relationships and their emotional development as well as future life chances. There may be a range of reasons why children experience speech, language and communication (SLC) difficulties which may be transient or linked to longer term additional needs. We are committed as a partnership in Luton to tackle this important issue collectively through a systems change approach to our work. We are using the funding from the DFE Early Outcomes Fund to transform how we will deliver services for our families and children. Our ambition is that staff across the workforce come on our training to learn how they can support this important issue. Come and be part of this ambition.
The course is aimed at
- professionals who work directly with families and children in both the children’s and adults’ workforce
- those professionals whose role requires them to be in contact with families (they may not work directly with families but could still promote key messages within their service)
- colleagues who work in the Voluntary and Community Sector
This free course aims to:
- describe what typical communication and language development looks like: what to expect at each stage of development and when to be concerned
- provide you with the Luton context in relation to communication and language needs and introduce you to new Luton Communication and Language pathway from pregnancy to five
- introduce you to the new Communication and Language screening tool to support early identification
- clarify how this work supports the demands of your service: how you can measure impact and how you can support within your individual role
- understand the role of Communication Champions and how they might support your service.
- introduce you to the new Talking Takes Off Luton messages and provide you with some useful resources to take away
All delegates will receive free resources to use in their workplace/ setting / agency
Dates and booking
Click on the date you would like to attend to proceed to a booking form. If the date is
crossed through it is fully booked
DATE TIME VENUE
|Thursday 30 January||9am to 12.30pm||THE LEAGRAVE CENTRE|
|Thursday 6 February||1pm to 4.30pm||THE LEAGRAVE CENTRE|
|Thursday 27 February||9am to 12.30pm||STOCKWOOD DISCOVERY CENTRE|
|Thursday 12 March||1pm to 4.30pm||THE LEAGRAVE CENTRE|
|Thursday 26 March||9am to 12.30pm||THE LEAGRAVE CENTRE|
Plus a TWILIGHT event aimed at CHILDMINDERS on Tuesday 29 October from 7pm to 9pm at The Leagrave Centre
A session specifically for Voluntary Community Sector staff has been arranged for Tuesday 19 November 4.15pm to 6.15pm but booking will go through the Luton VCS team- details to be added shortly
Click on the training to see more information about it and proceed to a booking form. If the date is
crossed through it is fully booked.
Please note you will have had to have done the Talking Takes Off Workshop training to do this enhanced training below:
Talking Takes Off (TTO) Operational Champion- Train the Trainer
The course is aimed at:
- professionals who have completed the universal Talking Takes off Training and have an interest in becoming a Talking Takes Off Champion.
This free course aims to support you to commence your role of Talking Takes Off Champion, which will involve:
- raising awareness as to why early years’ speech, language and communication development is so important, particularly linked to improved outcomes for children.
- leading by example and inspiring others to get involved in developing communication and delivering the key messages around developing communication
- delivering internal staff training, using practical resources provided by Talking Takes Off, to raise awareness so that all staff are trained in key messages, skills and behaviours.
TTO Operational Champion- Train the Trainer* 2 December 1pm to 2.30pm at Luton Irish Forum (Martin O’Hehir)
TTO Operational Champion-Train the Trainer* 4 December 1pm to 2.30pm at Luton Irish Forum (Martin O’Hehir)
Communication Friendly Settings (U) 22 January 1pm to 4pm at The Leagrave Centre (Cedar Hall)
Bilingualism 29 January 1pm to 4.30pm at The Leagrave Centre (Cedar Hall)
Selective Mutism 12 February 9am to 12.30pm at Stopsley Baptist Church (Rooms 5/6)