EXTRA: Solihull Online (e-courses for parents of children 0 to 18, including those with SEND) Visit: www.inourplace.co.uk using Access Code: HATTERS
Pregnancy Groups/ Services
Luton Bumps on Zoom: This monthly 1-hour zoom group is for women in any stage of pregnancy to ask our Midwife any questions on their mind and learn from others in the group
- Feedback: “It was very nice to have women share similar experiences with what I am experiencing. I didn’t feel so alone or so different anymore.”
Bump, Birth and Baby Stuff
Bump (Early pregnancy): This early pregnancy programme will support you with having a healthy pregnancy and looking after yourself and bump. This 3 week online programme covers eating well for a healthy pregnancy, keeping active and getting ready for labour and looking after yourself and bonding with baby during your pregnancy. Suitable for: pregnant women and partners in the first or second trimester of pregnancy
- Feedback: “It covers all the aspects and challenges of pregnancy, and how to cope with it.”
Birth and Baby stuff (Later pregnancy): This later pregnancy programme is for first time parents to be in the third trimester of pregnancy. The programme is delivered in person and will support you with key information around labour and birth and caring for your new-born baby, as well as providing a great opportunity to meet other parents to be. Delivered in partnership by midwives, health visitors and family workers the programme will cover labour and birth information, responsive feeding, baby’s brain development, looking after yourself and your baby. The programme runs as a 3 week course or a one day course.
- Feedback: “All 3 sessions I felt like I had learnt something. I also had the chance to exchange numbers with some other parents, which was important to me. Staff were very friendly and I felt I could ask questions.”
Keeping Baby Safe Zoom Workshop: What every pregnant or new parent needs to know in order to keep baby safe – offered as a 2 hour online zoom group session with Safe at Home
- Feedback: “The session was very informative and helpful for me, especially for choosing baby products. I have realised the things I thought would be safe are not safe and even bring danger to my baby. Also learned about co sleeping and bed sharing tips. Thanks for a wonderful session”
Baby Groups/Services (In Person)
Baby Massage 5- Week Course (£10) for under 6 months: Massaging your baby provides a wonderful opportunity for expressing your love, whilst meeting the need for touch and affection that is so essential for the healthy development of your baby. The benefits for your baby are: helping baby to feel securely attached, reduced crying and emotional distress, increased levels of relaxation, development of body awareness, relief from wind, colic and constipation. The benefits for you: Feeling closer to your baby, an increased understanding of your baby, feeling the relaxed benefits of giving your baby nurturing touch. The benefits of attending a class: Enjoy focused time with your baby, the opportunity to socialise in a welcoming and supportive environment and have fun whilst learning a life-long skill. Our relaxed classes include time for informal parent discussion. Massage strokes are reviewed each week and handouts are given as a reminder.
Early Days Group: for parents in the fourth trimester (from birth to 4 months) to join an informal and relaxed group for new parents with Flying Start staff on hand if you want any information or advice.
- Feedback: “It’s an opportunity to get my baby out and around others. There is also an opportunity to have great discussions and learn new things about parenting. For example, weaning ect. As a first time parent, it a constant learning journey and it’s great to see we’re all in the same boat.”
Sensory Play: (for parents of non-walkers over 3 months as mat-based activity) This weekly hour-long face to face group encourages quality time for parents and baby- exploring various objects and using various senses
- Feedback: “All the staff are lovely and very supportive. They also engage well with all babies and ensure that they enjoy the session.”
Parent Baby Self- Weighing: (for parents of under 2 years) Opportunity to self-weigh your baby on our scales. Please note this is not a health visitor clinic, a member of staff will be on hand to show you how to use the scales and how you can record your baby’s weight, however if you have any health concerns about your baby please contact our duty Health Visitor on 0300 555 0606 or text parentline 07505331866 and they will be able to help. *NEW Drop in- first come first served- Baby Self-Weighing Luton Session Timetable *
Baby Rhyme and Sign: (for parents of non-walkers over 3 months) Nursery rhymes and action songs are great fun and also help stimulate language development. Flying Start’s Sing and sign group combines the benefits of both music and signing.
Mindful Tots: (for parents of over 2 years) – a relaxing mindfulness session with some low-level poses for the children (similar to yoga)
Breastfeeding Café: Support for mothers breastfeeding. In addition to the 3 Breastfeeding Cafes in Luton shown on our timetable, Bedford/Central Bedfordshire have Baby Brasseries you are welcome to, find out more here
Little Explorers: 1 to 2 years (mobile)- ideal for toddlers on the move who would find larger Play and Learn groups too busy
Play and Learn for over 1s: Our play and learn (stay and play) sessions are opportunities for parents/carers to come along and meet other people with young children. A variety of age appropriate activities are available, such as messy play, soft play, stories and rhymes and lots more!
- Feedback: “The staff are always friendly, asking about our children, sometimes play with kids showing their interest, even giving advice”
Parent Chat Drop in: For parents of children under 5 years old. Our friendly Community Link Worker will be available to tell you about Flying Start sessions as well as to answer any questions you have about parenting topics such as developmental milestones, age-appropriate behaviour and family relationships. They can also signpost you to other Luton services as appropriate. No need to book as a drop in with 10 minute one to one slots available.
Zoom sessions for parents on Starting Solids, Sleep, Toileting, Fussy Eating, Oral Health, Childhood Illnesses and Understanding Behaviour: These workshops will be in a relaxed style- giving a great opportunity for parents to talk with others, share experiences, and support each other whilst getting some parenting support and advice. *NEW- VIDEO VERSIONS TO WATCH IN YOUR OWN TIME-!*
- Feedback: “Thank you again for all your help! I’m always learning something new and really encourages me to stay on track to be a healthy mama and good role model”
HENRY Healthy Lifestyles on Zoom: This 8/9 week programme supports parents in ensuring a healthy start for their child. Henry helps to overcome those mealtime challenges so parents can have a happy and healthy family life
- Feedback: “I was able to share my experiences without judgement and also listen from other parents experiences. Being able to have group discussions was quite enjoyable We have increased level of physical activity by going out more often to the park etc. Also I have been making healthier lifestyle choices for myself and my family.”
Parenting Puzzle on Zoom: This 4/5 week programme supports parents of babies and young children with a focus on the importance of attachment, empathy, positive discipline, play and communication
- Feedback: “Helped me by being about to speak in a group and take in everyone view point and learning new techniques”
Dad’s Saturday Group: Monthly group for fathers, grandfathers, stepfathers, uncles or brothers who would like to share some quality time with their child or relative under 8. Click here to book
The Early Years Alliance are also running sessions nationally (click on the name for more information/to book):