Lots of information on Infant Feeding is available via the Hospital’s website here: www.bedfordshirehospitals.nhs.uk/infantfeeding
There is also information in your Early Days Booklet
Breastfeeding is the healthiest way to feed baby, some of the benefits of breastfeeding include:
- breast milk is perfectly designed for your baby.
- breast milk protects your baby from infections and diseases.
- breast milk is available for your baby whenever your baby needs it.
- breastfeeding can build a strong emotional bond between you and your baby.
- breastfeeding also provides health benefits for you.
Formula milk does not provide the same protection from illness and does not give you any health benefits.
Breastfeeding takes time and practise and it can take weeks for you to become confident with breastfeeding but there is lots of support available to help you get off to a great start.
Watch the video below to find out more about breastmilk and how it is tailored to baby:
If you cannot see the video below, please use this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2adrIKweZTE
Click here for more information about support through your Health Visiting Service
Breastfeeding Cafes in Luton:
– Mondays- 9.30am to 11.30am at CYCD (94-106 Leagrave Road, LU4 8HZ)
– Wednesdays- 1pm to 3pm at Flying Start Park Town Centre (Bailey Street, LU1 3DU)
– Fridays- 9.30am to 11.30am at Flying Start Centre in Pastures Way Nursery (Pastures Way, LU4 0PE)
Baby Brasseries in Bedford/Central Beds:
National Breastfeeding Helpline
Independent, confidential, mother-centred, non-judgmental breastfeeding support and information
Open 9.30am to 9.30pm every single day of the year
0300 100 0212
National Breastfeeding Helpline Website
Other information and support
- Free feeding support groups and information available through La Leche League
- NHS Start 4 Life
- Breastfeeding network
- Baby Buddy App- Free App with over 200 videos to support parents including feeding
- Click here to view the ‘off to the best start’ leaflet about feeding your baby
- Click here to view a guide on breastfeeding after returning to work or study
Click here for information on BOTTLE FEEDING:
This leaflet includes:
- How to make sure you are feeding responsively
- Sterilising bottles
- Making up a bottle safely
- Formula milk
- When to move on to cows milk/ milk alternative
- How to combine breastfeeding and bottle feeding
#FreeToFeed breastfeeding awareness campaign
All women and their children should be free to breastfeed in public, anytime, anywhere. This is the vision of the #FreeToFeed campaign, launched in July 2019 to support mothers across Luton and Bedfordshire to raise their confidence and understanding among the public, businesses and venues. For more information visit:
Parenting and Family Relationships
There are a variety of courses and one-off sessions for parents in Luton to promote positive, nurturing and responsive parenting
Safe at Home Luton is a child accident prevention programme aimed at families from pregnancy through to the child’s 5th birthday.
If you think that your child may have special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) you should speak to someone about your concerns- find out more on Luton’s Local Offer
Five to Thrive
Just as our child’s body grows better when you give them good food, your child’s brain grows better when you do five simple things that feed the growing brain:
Respond ● Cuddle ● Relax ● Play ● Talk